“The bad news is – time flies. The good news? You’re the pilot.”
– Michael Altshuler
The New Year offers the opportunity to celebrate new beginnings. No matter how disappointing the past year may have been, we have the chance to begin again. There is a magic in new beginnings – a fresh start influenced by knowledge and experience garnered throughout the past years.
As you launch into the New Year, let’s review 21 ways to enhance YOU in 2021:
- 2020 Reflection.What did you accomplish? What obstacles did you overcome? Where are you struggling? What are you grateful for?
- Set intentions.Most New Year’s resolutions fail within the first quarter. Why not replace them with realistic intentions of interest and benefit to you?
- Got Goals? Be thoughtful as you outline your 2021 goals. Include a timeline where appropriate. Choose personal and professional goals that ignite you!
- Experiences! Plan them now. We all need something to look forward to. What do you enjoy doing? What is possible given current restrictions?
- Who? Maximize your time with positive people. Who inspires you? Who keeps you motivated? Who do you enjoy spending time with?
- What? Do you like your life? If not, decide what you want and take steps to get there. Reach out to people who are doing what you want to do.
- When? Start today. Take your first steps towards making changes that will improve your life.
- Where? Are you living and working where you are happy? Is it possible to change locations? Investigate options.
- Change. Change is hard and many people aren’t willing to take the chance and make the effort to improve their situations. Take the chance! The circumstances are rarely ideal.
- An apple a day. Take control of your health. Keep an eye on your diet, exercise and stress levels.
- Community Involvement. Volunteer with the mindset: What can I do to enhance another person’s life today?” Give versus gain.
- Patronize your favorite restaurant. Purchase local when you can – take out, clothing, books, groceries. The small business owners are struggling.
- Education. We are never done. Continue to pursue lifelong learning. It makes your life interesting and makes you an interesting person.
- Driving? Use this time to think, call a friend, learn a language, listen to a podcast or reflect on your blessings.
- Make new friends. Continue to collect great people in your life. To keep a friend, be a friend.
- Smile more. Smile at everyone you meet. If you are wearing a mask, smile with your eyes. Try it for one day. You will be amazed at how much better your day is.
- Zoom Lonely? Craving company? Schedule Zoom calls with friends and relatives. Participate in the chat during educational webinars. Make more new friends!
- Watch “The Quiet Man”. This classic will have you grinning for two hours and nine minutes.
- Books. Set a goal – one book a week? Month? Create your booklist, visit Island Books in Middletown, pick up a copy of Your Someday is NOW – What are YOU Waiting For? and get cozy!
- Compliment. Compliment someone who you struggle with. You may turn that relationship around.
- Be Brave. Be brave in 2021 – this is not your practice life! Take those chances. Live with purpose!
Cheers to 2021! New Year! Enhanced You!
Gail Lowney Alofsin is the Director of Corporate Partnership & Community Relations for the Newport International Boat Show, a division of Newport Restaurant Group. An adjunct professor at the University of RI and Salve Regina University, author, speaker and volunteer, Gail lives in Newport, Rhode Island.
To date, 100% of the sales of her book, Your Someday is NOW! What Are YOU Waiting For? have raised over $42,000 for non-profit organizations. It is available at Island Books in Middletown – https://islandbooksri.indielite.org/